Connect with us

General News

Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s Body Laid In State As Mourners Pay Their Last Respects

Published

on

Archbishop Desmond Tutu’s Body Laid In State As Mourners Pay Their Last Respects

The body of the late Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu will lie in state at Cape Town’s St George’s Cathedral for two days from Thursday where thousands of mourners are expected to pay their last respects.

Earlier in the day, his body was carried into his beloved church in a simple pine coffin by members of the clergy.

Tutu died in Cape Town on Sunday.

Hundreds of South Africans are expected to pay their respects to him in the coming days as his body lies in state.

The Archbishop Tutu IP Trust and the Desmond & Leah Tutu Legacy Foundation said the Archbishop was very clear on his wishes for his funeral.

Advertisement

“He wanted no ostentatiousness or lavish spending. He asked that the coffin be the cheapest available and that a bouquet of carnations from his family be the only flowers in the cathedral,” the two organisations said in a statement.

Mourners have been urged to donate to Tutu’s foundations instead of sending flowers.

“The Tutu family would once again like to express its profound gratitude to all across the world who have sent condolences this week – and to the state for its magnificent support.

This deluge of love serves to compensate, to some extent, for Covid regulations restricting the size of gatherings and the nature of the send-off our beloved Arch so richly deserves,” the statement read.

The Archbishop will be cremated privately, and his ashes interred in the cathedral.

 

 

Share with Friends:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

General News

Killer Of ‘Matwetwe’ Actor Sibusiso Khwinana Sentenced To Life Imprisonment

Published

on

Killer Of 'Matwetwe' Actor Sibusiso Khwinana Sentenced To Life Imprisonment

Tanzanian public, Julies Lucas, the man who killed Matwetwe actor, Sibusiso Khwinana, was doomed to life imprisonment by the Pretoria High Court on Friday.

Lucas, 37, was condemned of murder and thievery in February after the court accepted the substantiation of three eye substantiations that he was the man who had picked Khwinana outside the movie theatre complex that night and burgled him of his cellphone.

He was also doomed to 15 times for thievery with aggravating circumstances and eight times for breaching the Immigration Act, after it was plant that he was in South Africa immorally.

In April, twinkles before sentencing proceedings were due to start, Lucas fired his counsel, saying he wasn’t happy with his service.

Lucas, who was at length told that this could delay the finalization of his trial by a time, was adamant as he wanted to “ satisfy his heart.” He said he was incorrectly condemned as he’s not the killer.

Still, his detention tactics failed to work after Judge Portia Phahlane explained to him that as he can not pay for his own counsel, he wasn’t in a position to pick and choose who he wanted to represent him and was given until May 3 to put in writing exactly what his grouch is with the state appointed counsel.

Advertisement

When the day came, Lucas changed his mind and progressed with the same attorney.

Matwetwe actor Sibusiso Khwinana stabbed to death

During sentencing, Phahlane said Lucas burgled South Africa of a true gift when he boggled Khwinana over a cellphone.
Phahlane also ordered that after serving his judgment, Lucas should be deported to his country of origin.

Khwinana, 25, was picked in March 2019 during a thievery outside Sterland Mall in Arcadia, Pretoria, where he’d attended the webbing of’Matwetwe’, the locally- produced movie he starred in.

According to the police, Khwinana and a friend were on the corner of Pretorius Street and Steve Biko Road when Lucas accosted him and demanded his cellphone.

The actor was picked with a sharp object in the upper body as he grappled for his cellphone, and was certified dead on the scene.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

General News

48 People Still Missing After KZN Floods

Published

on

As KwaZulu-Natal residers continue to search for missing loved bones since the recent destructive cataracts, Cooperative Governance and Traditional Affairs (Cogta) verified on Wednesday that 48 people were still missing.

The flooding claimed 445 lives, 386 of which were from eThekwini alone, Cogta MEC Sipho Hlomuka said during a briefing.

Thirty-one people from the Ilembe quarter, seven from Ugu, four from King Cetshwayo, three from Harry Gwala, two from uMgungundlovu and two from uMzinyathi are still missing.

So far 748 hunt operations have been conducted and over 168 deliverances completed.

Despite assessments into the damages still under way, Hlomuka said damages to both the private and public sector during the cataracts amounted to R25 billion.

The flooding started around April 11, following a weekend of harmonious heavy downfall. Across corridor of the fiefdom, rainfall agencies verified that over 200 mm of rain fell within a space of 24 hours.

The cataracts knocked out all major structure, leaving residers in the region without water and electricity for nearly two weeks as the megacity tried to restore some form of normality.

Advertisement

“As a coordinating department, we at KZN Cogta have been at the forefront of efforts to mitigate the impact of the floods on our communities and businesses. With the national Cabinet declaring a national state of disaster, we have amassed significant resources, some of which are already being deployed on the ground to help those most in need of assistance: water tankers, emergency shelters, food parcels or technical and medical assistance.

“Disaster Management teams are still on the ground and continue to provide support for relief purposes and are searching for the missing. The deployment of the South African National Defence Force has helped these efforts greatly,” Hlomuka said.

Lindani Zungu, 21, from the Inanda area, just north of Durban, has been searching for a month for his five cousins. He said they dug around the debris for two weeks before deliverance brigades showed up, but they too, were unprofitable.

He told IOL on Wednesday that the hunt continues.

“There is no progress that has been made so far. There were those that came but were unlucky so we were requesting an excavator or something like that to help us dig through the rubble.

“We have been digging for two weeks, I don’t think we can dig anymore,” Zungu said.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

General News

These Are The Men Charged With The Murder Hillary Gardee

Published

on

These Are The Men Charged With The Murder Hillary Gardee

Earlier today,  the three suspects who have been arrested in connection with Hillary Gardee’s murder appeared in the Mbombela Magistrate’s Court.

The three primary suspects were charged with murder, rape, conspiracy to commit murder, kidnapping and possession of illegal firearms.

Their names are Sipho Lawrence Mkatshwa, Philemon Lukhele and Mduzuzi Gama.

All three abandoned their bail application after the State requested that the accused be denied bail because of the seriousness of the crime.

The matter was postponed until June 9 following a request by the three suspects to be given medical attention, saying they were allegedly tortured while in custody.

EFF member and family members spokesperson Sinawo Thambo said the family did not want the accused to get bail because they could be a flight risk even before the proceedings began.

A large contingent of EFF members was outside court in support of the Gardee family.

Advertisement

Suspect Arrested In Connection With Hillary Gardee Killing

Suspect Arrested In Connection With Hillary Gardee Killing

The first of the three men was apprehended on the eve of Gardee’s funeral while the other two were arrested over the weekend.

The possibility of there being further arrests has not been ruled out by police as the investigation continues.

On Saturday, May 7, Hillary Gardee, 28 was buried.

Police Minister Bheki Cele, Mpumalanga Premier Refilwe Mtsweni-Tsipane and EFF leader Julius Malema were among the dignitaries in attendance to pay their last respects.

She was reported missing on Friday, April 29.

Hillary Gardee was reportedly last seen leaving a shopping complex in Nelspruit at approximately 5.30pm.

Her body  was found in a field about 40km outside Mbombela by a group of passers-by who were making their way to work.

An autopsy revealed that 28-year-old Gardee was shot at the back of the head and stabbed multiple times.

Mea nwhile,  the motive behind Gardee’s murder is  still unknown.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

General News

Suspect Arrested In Connection With Hillary Gardee Killing

Published

on

Suspect Arrested In Connection With Hillary Gardee Killing

Police have made a advance in the disquisition into the murder of Hillary Gardee, arresting a suspect in Limpopo.

Mpumalanga Police Commissioner Semakaleng Manamela made the advertisement outside the Gardee home late on Friday night.

There was a strong police presence at the home, where hundreds of mourners had formerly gathered ahead of Gardee’s burial on Saturday morning.

In a briefing held outside Hillary Gardee’s family home, Manamela verified the suspect had been arrested in Schoemansdal, Limpopo, some 400 km down from Mbombela.

Manamela asserted that the police were confident they had nabbed their man.

She also said she anticipated further apprehensions to be made as the police continue their examinations.

Advertisement

Manemela couldn’t discover the identity of the suspect but said he’s a “ middle-aged man” and will be appearing in court on Monday.

Gardee family prophet Sinawo Tambo expressed the family’s gratefulness to the police and confided them on the work they had done on the case so far.

Hillary was reported missing on Friday, April 29. She was reportedly last seen leaving a shopping complex in Mbombela ( preliminarily known as Nelspruit) at roughly 17h30.

She was latterly plant dead in a field around 45 km outdoors Mbombela, on Tuesday, May 3.

Her body was discovered by a group of people making their way to work.

The 28- time-old woman had been shot in the reverse of the head.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

General News

Four People Killed In Morning Crash On The N2 Near Richards Bay

Published

on

Four People Killed In Morning Crash On The N2 Near Richards Bay

Four people have been killed in a crash on the N2 in KwaMbonambi in Northern KwaZulu-Natal.

The KwaZulu Private Ambulance (KZPA) responded to the scene following reports of a collision.
KZPA prophet Craig Botha said when exigency services arrived, they plant that two vehicles had been involved in the crash.

He said that paramedics snappily assessed the scene and plant that one case had sustained critical injuries and was trapped in the vehicle and another case had sustained serious injuries.

Advertisement

Botha said the cases were untangled from the auto using specialised deliverance outfit, treated and stabilised on the scene before being transported to the sanitarium for farther treatment.

“Sadly four occupants had sustained fatal injuries and succumbed to their injuries before emergency services arrived,” Botha said.

He added that the cause of the collision was unknown but the authorities were probing.

Police were approached for comment but hadn’t responded by the time of publication. Their comment will be added once entered.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

Facebook

Africa Business Directory

Are you looking to increase your company's online presence in Africa? List your company on our No.1 business directory in South Africa & business directory in Africa as a whole on africabusinessfile.com.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending