Connect with us

General News

Stage 6 Load Shedding To Start At 2pm And Run Until Midnight

Published

on

Eskom Announces Stage 2 Load Shedding From 2pm Today

Eskom, South Africa power and utility company has announced that stage 6 of load shedding will be implemented from 2pm and will run unril midnight on Thursday.

“Due to the continued unlawful strike Stage 6 loadshedding will be implemented at 2pm until midnight. Stage 6 will again be implemented from 5am until midnight on Friday,” Eskom said on Twitter.

Meanwhile, stage 4 of the load shedding will also be implemented from midnight on Friday until 5pm.

According to the power and utility company, it said stage 6 load shedding would be implemented on Friday, from 5am until midnight and a continuous “minimum” of stage 4 load shedding would operate continuously over the weekend.

Eskom said it was difficult to conduct routine maintenance as many employees were absent, while some employees were intimidated during the recent protest that ensued over the stalled wage negotiations.

Also, 3 161 megawatts are schedule for maintenance while a further 17 467MW was unavailable due to breakdowns as revealed by Eskom.

“Due to the unlawful and unprotected strike which has caused widespread disruption to Eskom’s power plant, Eskom is still unavailable to return some generators to service.

“Eskom is compelled to take this unprecedented step to conserve emergency generation capacity to safeguard the power system. There remains a risk that the stage of load shedding may have to change at any time depending on the state of the plant,” Eskom said.

Meanwhile, the protest reportedly began on June 22 and has escalated since then.

“We will be meeting with Eskom in the CBF to respond to the wage proposal,” Numsa said.

Share with Friends:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

General News

Zulu King Denies Allegations Against Him In Court Action

Published

on

Zulu King Denies Allegations Against Him In Court Action

Zulu King Misuzulu KaZwelithini has denied abusing drugs and alcohol or committed incest and has a child with one of the half-sisters in the Swazi royal family where his mother, the late Queen Mantfombi Dlamini Zulu, came from.

The young king wants the North Gauteng High Court in Pretoria to dismiss the allegations as spurious.

The king’s denial is contained in court papers (more than 300 pages long) in response to Prince Mbonisi Zulu’s application to stop his coronation and set aside his recognition as the king of the Zulu Kingdom.

Early this month the senior Zulu prince rushed to the court to halt the king’s coronation billed for August 13 this year, among other things.

Advertisement

He claimed the matter was urgent and asked the court to hear it on July 26 this year, a request that is yet to get the nod from the court.

“In other words, the allegations that I have committed incest with my sisters from the Royal Palace of Kwakhangelamankengane is fiction. It is also untrue that I have a child with the daughter of my mother’s sister from the Royal Family of Swaziland. Secondly, those related to alleged alcohol and drug abuse.”

Furthermore, he said it is true that he consumes alcoholic beverages, but it is not true that he gets unruly.

“It is no secret that I consume alcoholic beverages. However, I do not suffer from alcohol or drug abuse. The allegations have been made maliciously and vexatiously to scandalise me. They are scandalous, vexatious and prejudicial to me. They are also irrelevant.

“The fact that I consume alcohol does not disqualify me to be King under the Khoi San Act or under Zulu customary law. The application is baseless and scandalous and should be dismissed with costs, including the costs of two counsel,” the king said in his replying court papers.

The issue of alcohol is in response to allegations that on two occasions, the king, while his late father, King Goodwill Zwelithini, was on the throne, in a drunken stupor told him to surrender the throne to him.

King Misuzulu’s legal team comprises Durban legal guru advocate Madoda Griffiths Madonsela, and he works with advocate Musa Ntsibande.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

General News

Two Arrested For Pickpocketing At Springbok Test Match

Published

on

Two Arrested For Pickpocketing At Springbok Test Match

Opportunistic criminals lurked about while Capetonians stormed Cape Town Stadium with the rest of South Africa watched in waiting for the rugby Test match between the Springboks and Wales.

Spectators stormed the Cape Town stadium to watch the victory of the Springboks, who won the Series against Wales after beating Wayne Pivac’s team 30-14 in the decider following a win in the opener in Pretoria and losing out in Bloemfontein in the second.

However, crime did not take a break in the mist of happiness and true South African gees (spirit) was the order of the day.

The mayoral committee member for safety and security, Alderman JP Smith said the City of Cape Town’s enforcement agencies were on high alert on Saturday with a crowd expectancy of 53 000.

Advertisement

According to him, security agencies were watching for pickpockets at the stadium and observed two individuals who were behaving suspiciously among the crowd of supporters.

“Both suspects were then escorted to a private location within the stadium and questioned, where a search revealed a total of R3 500 in cash and six cellphones of which no reasonable explanation could be provided.

“A 32-year-old male and a 33-year-old male were placed under arrest for theft and possession of stolen property and handed over to the SAPS for further investigation and prosecution,” Smith said.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

General News

16th Victim Dies From Soweto Tavern Shooting – Police

Published

on

16th Victim Dies From Soweto Tavern Shooting – Police

One more victim was confirmed dead at hospital on Tuesday, as the death toll has risen to 16 in relation to the weekend shooting incident at Nomzamo informal settlement in Soweto.

The Police in Gauteng  are yet to arrest the perpetrators in connection with the gruesome shooting, however, they assured the public that a team of investigators have already began looking into the shooting incident which has claimed 16 lives.

According to the Police, the investigators are working with the crime intelligence unit, are on the ground to establish the motive “and eventually arrest the perpetrators involved in this shooting”.

Police Minister Bheki Cele confirmed to the public that at least 130 used bullet casings of AK47 assault rifles were recovered from the crime scene at the tavern after he visited the Soweto community in the aftermath of the shootings on Monday.

“There were about 130 empty cartridges of AK47, which means that those people that were there, really meant (to carry out) business of killing. In an AK47, at any given time you put 30 bullets in it, which means time and again, they would reload. There is suspicion that there were about three of those rifles among those five people that were identified there (assailants),” Cele said.

Advertisement

“But also, there were cartridges of pistols, the small guns. So, the group of people, for whatever reason … they intended to come here and do the damage that they did.”

According to Gauteng police commissioner, the crime intelligence in the province was not proactive before the attack did not mean there was no intelligence in the province.

“Intelligence is hard at work here in the province. All our operations are intelligence led. It doesn’t mean that if they missed that one, then intelligence does not exist. It does exist, it does feed us with information. Certain things we want to reserve them because the more we reveal a lot, we are actually empowering the criminals,” Lieutenant-General Elias Mawela said.

“They will forever counter what we want to do. Some of the tactical details, we prefer not to share.”

Following the two mass shootings on Saturday and Sunday, which claimed the lives of at least 20 people in Soweto and Pietermaritzburg, President Cyril Ramaphosa sent condolences to the affected families On Sunday.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

General News

Petrol Price Crosses R25 A Litre For The First Time Ever

Published

on

’Pay Up, Before You Fuel Up' - Says Some Petrol Stations As Theft Of Fuel Rises

Motorist and consumers in South Africa will be very unhappy at the pumps and tills in this month as fuel prices set to go up again.

This comes after fuel prices in the country rise up by more than R2 per litre again in July, with the price of petrol breaching R25 per litre for the first time ever.

According to the Department of Mineral resources and Energy, the price of petrol for both 93 and 95 ULP and LRP will increase by R2.37 and R2.57 per litre from midnight tomorrow, respectively.

Also, diesel is also set to go up between R2.30 and R2.31 per litre while the wholesale price of illuminating paraffin will rise by R1.66 per litre.

But, the maximum LPGas Retail Price will go down by R2.18 per kilogram.

Advertisement

This is the fourth consecutive month of monthly fuel price increases since April when fuel prices were around R21.63 per litre following supply constraints due to the war on Ukraine and the subsequent Western sanctions on Russia.

Gwede Mantashe, Minerals Resources and Energy Minister says the recent hikes in fuel prices is purely based on the current both local and international factors.

According to him, the average Brent crude oil price sightly increased from $115.00 dollars to $115.77 dollars during the period under review is the main reason for the increase in fuel prices in the country.

After China lifted Covid-19 restrictions, there has been an increasing demand for crude oil, meanwhile, OPEC has reduced demand forecast due to recession fears which could lead to economic slow-down and less demand for crude oil.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

General News

Durban Policeman Kills Son, Mistaking Him For An Intruder

Published

on

Durban Policeman Kills Son, Mistaking Him For An Intruder

News gathered by Zulunews.co.za indicates that A Durban police officer has allegedly shot and killed his 10-year-old son.

The incident happened on Sunday morning, as IOL reports that policeman mistakenly took his son an intruder.

According to IOL report, the incident occurred took place at around 10am on Queen Elizabeth Avenue in Manor Gardens.

It is alleged the man had been asleep when he heard his son screaming for help.

He ran downstairs and saw an unknown person at the window.

Advertisement

The policeman ran back for his state-issued firearm and fired shots through the window from inside the house.

He did not know that his son was outside.

The son sustained bullet wounds to his chest and foot.

When the policeman noticed it was his son that was shot, he was assisted by neighbours who rushed them to a hospital nearby.

However, the son died in hospital.

Brigadier Jay Naicker said a case of murder was being investigated.

“Mayville police were called to a house in Manor Gardens where a 10-year-old was shot. He was rushed to hospital and was declared dead on arrival.”

The Independent Police Investigative Directorate have been approached for comment.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

Facebook

Africa Business Directory

Are you looking to increase your company's online presence in Africa? List your company on our No.1 business directory in South Africa & business directory in Africa as a whole on africabusinessfile.com.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending