Connect with us

Politics

‘I Will Kill You Outside’ – Malema Threatens At Pan-African Parliament [Video]

Published

on

EFF Rejects Reinstatement Of Afrikaans At Unisa

A session of the Pan-African Parliament (PAP) was disrupted briefly as EFF MP Julius Malema hurled insults threatening “kill” a fellow member.

“Don’t make noise here, we are here to listen, don’t make noise here. I will f*ck you up outside, I will kill you outside, I will kill you. You do not know me,” Malema is heard saying to a fellow PAP member during a heated altercation.

ANC MP Pemmy Majodina, a fellow PAP member, was seen restraining Malema during the incident. The other member was also restrained and retreated back to his seat following the incident.

The fourth day of sitting for the Pan-African Parliament had to be adjourned on Thursday due to a Covid-19 case.

The sitting kicked off on Monday in Midrand, Joburg.

Legislators from various African states have been attending the sitting which has thus far debated a variety of issues including the rotation of the PAP presidency.

Read Also:  EFF Rejects Reinstatement Of Afrikaans At Unisa

The PAP is the legislative arm of the AU.

Thursday’s sitting was adjourned after a staff member tested positive for the coronavirus. The decision to cancel the sitting to Monday followed a tense debate between MPs.

A minority called for the sitting to continue as it was only a staff member that was infected and not any of the MPs. Threats of violence among some MPs were also heard with one member saying another had threatened to harm a fellow MP.

Majodina spoke strongly for the sitting to be adjourned until Monday to allow for deep cleaning of the venue and ensure no one else gets infected.

“Acting president as part of the Covid-19 protocols, once a staff or any person is found to have been positive to Covid-19, and that person was on premises, it is only fair that the area must be evacuated and all members present here must be subjected to testing because you do not know how long you will carry that virus in your body,” Moajodina said.

Read Also:  Jolidee Matongo's Family Left Shocked And Devastated By His Sudden Death In Horrific Crash

It was decided that the sitting would be adjourned until Monday. Some MPs left the room still protesting loudly to the decision.

The PAP’s sitting drew some attention on Wednesday as Malema rose numerous times on points of order. First, he called out other members who were unruly. Malema was addressing the behaviour of a fellow MP.

“Acting president, exercise your power, you cannot be held at ransom by hooligans. Don’t be scared of the hooligan, we can deal with him now. We are not here for him, run this house,” Malema said.

“Why are you scared of this guy. Remove this thing from the house. We are not going to sit here and be bullied by this guy,” he said.

Malema also rose on a point of order earlier on the debate of rotation of the PAP presidency.

Read Also:  KZN Premier Zikalala Leads Peace Walk In Phoenix

He added that the rotation was important as it would allow for democratic practices.

“The four fathers who came before us wanted to eliminate unneeded contestation amongst Africans by coming up with democratic principles. If you are concerned about this continent and you are not serving the interests of colonists then you will not have an issue in adopting a principle that will unite Africans,” Malema said.

Malema said with power only being concentrated in certain regions, it was not democratic.

Similar sentiments were shared by National Assembly Speaker Thandi Modise who gave an opening address earlier this week.

“It is time that we recognise that unity is not how we show might, unity will not come about on how we show wealth, unity is about slowing the pace to enable the slowest amongst us to keep up,” Modise said.

 

Source: Political Bureau

Share with Friends:
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Politics

EFF Rejects Reinstatement Of Afrikaans At Unisa

Published

on

EFF Rejects Reinstatement Of Afrikaans At Unisa

The EFF has rejected the Constitutional Court’s decision to reinstate the Afrikaans language as a learning and teaching medium at Unisa.

The EFF said the court ignored the linkage between race and language in the context of South Africa’s history.

“The selective choice of Afrikaans as a superior language perpetuates superiority over indigenous languages, and is an insult to the standing of Africans and their heritage of rich languages.

Read Also:  Judge Hlophe’s Removal Process To Get Under Way After The Polls

“In the grace period to 2023 determined by the court, we call on Unisa to retrace its steps correctly and with lawful and procedural precision, do away with the 1976 language of national oppression, racial segregation, exclusion and supremacy,” the party said.

It said if the Afrikaans language was reinstated at Unisa, then the university must use African languages as a medium of instruction, including Swahili.

Read Also:  Jolidee Matongo's Family Left Shocked And Devastated By His Sudden Death In Horrific Crash

The Concourt gave Unisa until the start of the 2023 academic year to revise its language policy which did away with teaching and learning in Afrikaans.

The court passed a judgment on Wednesday which found the university in contravention of Section 29(2) of the Constitution, which relates to the right to receive an education in an official language or language of choice.

Read Also:  KZN Premier Zikalala Leads Peace Walk In Phoenix

The Concourt upheld a ruling by the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA) last year, following a battle between Unisa and lobby group AfriForum.

The university made changes to its language policy in 2016 which removed Afrikaans as a dual medium of teaching and learning.

AfriForum then took on the university to have its decision reversed and Afrikaans reinstated.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

Politics

Christian Group Approaches Concourt To Interdict Cyril Ramaphosa On Mandatory Vaccinations

Published

on

Christian Group Approaches Concourt To Interdict Cyril Ramaphosa On Mandatory Vaccinations

The South African National Christian Forum (SANCF) has approached the Constitutional Court to urgently interdict the government from declaring the Covid-19 vaccination mandatory.

The SANCF filed papers in the apex court citing President Cyril Ramaphosa and cabinet ministers as respondents.

The group is seeking an urgent interdisciplinary order against the mandatory Covid-19 vaccination, claiming it raises a threat to South Africa’s constitutional democracy and the Bill of Rights.

They have also asked the court to interdict the government from depriving or limiting access or benefits to un-vaccinated citizens.

“Christians are now forced to take a Covid-19 vaccination against their religious beliefs as they are told that government is preparing a Covid-19 passport, and without it, they won’t be allowed to go to church. This is further discrimination and creates a stigma to those who choose not to vaccinate,” the SANCF said in an affidavit.

Read Also:  Jolidee Matongo's Family Left Shocked And Devastated By His Sudden Death In Horrific Crash

In their court papers, SANCF wants the government to protect the constitutional rights of all South Africans regardless of the decision to take or not take the vaccine.

The matter is expected to be heard next week.

In an accompanying affidavit, the leader of the SANCF Pastor Marothi Josias Mashashane said that should this matter be rejected by the court, “the entire democracy would be at stake”.

Read Also:  Christian Group Approaches Concourt To Interdict Cyril Ramaphosa On Mandatory Vaccinations

He said they would argue that it would be illegal for an employer to make vaccinations compulsory without considering the individual’s Constitutional rights, such as bodily integrity.

“The applicant will argue that although vaccinations globally has been mentioned as a major role player in the fight against the virus, this does not mean there is or there would not be any possible alternatives,” his affidavit read.

He added that their case was not about a “for or against the vaccine” debate, but about the freedom to choose.

Read Also:  EFF Rejects Reinstatement Of Afrikaans At Unisa

“The applicant is of the view that the government under [Ramaphosa’s] leadership should educate and influence people into taking informed decision for their safety and that of the others, but regulations that restrict peoples’ rights can in no way be supported.

“The applicant is of the view that leadership is an influence and integrity for people to believe in the leader having the best interest of his or her followers in making any decision, unlike dictatorship, a real leader allows people to make choices without undue duress or fear,” Mashashane said.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

Politics

Jolidee Matongo’s Family Left Shocked And Devastated By His Sudden Death In Horrific Crash

Published

on

Jolidee Matongo's family left shocked and devastated by his sudden death in horrific crash

The family of the late Joburg mayor, Jolidee Matongo, said they were devastated by his sudden death.

Matongo died in a horrific crash on the Golden Highway. His two protectors were rushed to a hospital. The crash also claimed the life of the driver of a Nissan bakkie who was attempting to avoid hitting a pedestrian, who also died.

Speaking to Independent Media on Sunday, family spokesperson Muzikayise Ndlovu said he was hurt, and that it was very difficult to cope with what happened.

“Some of the family members have gone to KZN because we had prepared a ceremony. Matongo was also due to go to KZN when his untimely death happened. We are very distraught, we are very hurt, we are still trying to come to terms with what has happened. With hope and God we will get stronger,” said Ndlovu.

Read Also:  Judge Hlophe’s Removal Process To Get Under Way After The Polls

The crash occurred on the Golden Highway, which is two minutes from Matongo’s house in Lenasia South.

“As we visit his family home to honour him and comfort the family during this grieving period, we appeal for Covid-19 regulations to be observed. To this end, the ANC will soon advise on the memorial services and funeral arrangements after consultation with the Matongo family,” said ANC Joburg region secretary Dada Morero.

Read Also:  Jolidee Matongo's Family Left Shocked And Devastated By His Sudden Death In Horrific Crash

The ANC has admitted that Matongo’s death has created a vacuum in the City, and would also affect its election campaign.

The concession was made by ANC Joburg spokesperson Sasabona Manganye, who said that his party would now focus on two key issues. One was campaigning to win the upcoming local government elections, and the other was to give Matongo a befitting send-off.

“His death has created a vacuum in the City of Joburg. This means the City of Joburg does not have members of the mayoral committee. There is no executive authority. The Speaker and city manager will have to play those particular roles for now,” Manganye said.

Read Also:  EFF Rejects Reinstatement Of Afrikaans At Unisa

However, he said Matongo’s death would not have an impact on service delivery as he had left the City with a service delivery blueprint. According to Manganye, the management of the city was busy carrying out his plan.

Manganye said they would select the next person on their candidate list to replace Matongo. He said they did the same in July following the death of former mayor Geoff Makhubo. According to Manganye, Makhubo had topped the list of his party’s candidates list before he succumbed to Covid-19.

Manganye did not rule out the election of another mayor.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

Politics

KZN Premier Zikalala Leads Peace Walk In Phoenix

Published

on

KZN Premier Zikalala Leads Peace Walk In Phoenix

Almost two months after the Phoenix violence that left 36 people dead and stoked racial tensions between the suburb’s Indian community and their African neighbours, the KwaZulu-Natal government has started its series of reconciliation initiatives.

The first peace and reconciliation initiative, which was recently passed by the provincial government, will take place on Tuesday at Phoenix.

It will draw participants from the nearby African townships of KwaMashu, Inanda, Ntuzuma and the informal settlement of Bhambayi, where some of those who were massacred came from.

Read Also:  Christian Group Approaches Concourt To Interdict Cyril Ramaphosa On Mandatory Vaccinations

The peace march will also see the entire provincial government cabinet marching in the heart of the suburb in the north of Durban.

It comes as the top team of SAPS detectives specially assigned by police minister Bheki Cele to probe the matter continues to make more arrests.

By September 2, 2021, Cele told the media that the detective’s work had led to the arrests of 56 suspects believed to have committed the gruesome killings allegedly under the guise of protecting their homes and businesses during the mid-July unrest that came with looting.

Read Also:  EFF Rejects Reinstatement Of Afrikaans At Unisa

Some of those arrested remain in custody, while others have been granted bail under strict conditions by the Verulam magistrate court.

Announcing the peace march, the provincial government said they would also be joined by the civic society.

“KwaZulu-Natal Premier Sihle Zikalala will lead Members of the Executive Council on Tuesday, 14 September 2021, and join civil society in a peace walk that will take place in Phoenix, which was the epicentre of violence and racial tensions during the civil unrest.

Read Also:  Judge Hlophe’s Removal Process To Get Under Way After The Polls

“The peace walks form part of the provincial government’s concerted efforts to enhance unity and social cohesion in the province following the civil unrest and racial tensions.

“The government of KwaZulu-Natal has adopted a 365-day social cohesion and moral regeneration programme as part of building a united and a peaceful province,” it said in a statement on Monday.

 

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

Politics

Judge Hlophe’s Removal Process To Get Under Way After The Polls

Published

on

Judge Hlophe’s Removal Process To Get Under Way After The Polls

Parliament has indicated that it will not reopen the inquiry into Western Cape High Judge President John Hlophe or run a parallel process to that of the Judicial Service Commission (JSC).

However, the justice committee said this week it will stick to the law and do its work before reporting back to the National Assembly.

This was after Parliament’s legal advisers made a presentation to the committee on the process to be followed.

Speaker Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula had received a report from the JSC after it found Hlophe guilty of gross misconduct.

This related to the finding that he had tried to influence justices Bess Nkabinde and Chris Jafta in the arms deal case of former president Jacob Zuma.

The recently concluded complaint was lodged with the JSC almost 12 years ago.

In the meeting of the justice committee, it was agreed the process would not be opened up but to ensure it was dealt with properly.

Read Also:  Jolidee Matongo's Family Left Shocked And Devastated By His Sudden Death In Horrific Crash

Legal adviser for Parliament, advocate Barbara Loots said the removal of a judge would require a two-thirds majority.

“That is different from section 194 because the inquiry process has been done, it is not for Parliament to look at what the grounds were because the JSC has done that.

“The role of Parliament here unlike sections 89 and 194, it performs the check and balance function. The National Assembly’s role here in section 177 is such a check,” said Loots.

She said Parliament has a limited role in this regard.

“The National Assembly should not rubber-stamp anything. Every decision the assembly takes should be rational.”

Read Also:  KZN Premier Zikalala Leads Peace Walk In Phoenix

She said the committee must also do the background check on the matter.

“There are no special rules necessary as we are not doing an inquiry.”

Chairperson of the justice committee, Bulelani Magwanishe said this was not the reopening of the process.

He said the committee would have to follow what is prescribed in the law on its role in the matter.

“The issue of giving the affected party the right of reply the question will be, ’would that not amount to the re-opening of the process’, because what if the person comes with 100 issues that in his opinion were not properly dealt with then it means we must give the same to the JSC, the right of reply to the JSC. Would that not amount to the re-opening of the process,” said Magwanishe.

Read Also:  Christian Group Approaches Concourt To Interdict Cyril Ramaphosa On Mandatory Vaccinations

DA MP Werner Horn said the role of the committee is to advise the National Assembly on what would need to happen.

He said the scope of the committee was clear and it cannot go beyond what is required of it.

“The challenge for us as the committee is that we must advise the national assembly to maintain the balance between not serving as a rubber-stamp as legal services put it and embrace that check and oversight function while not venturing into the terrain which could make us guilty of acting as a review body,” said Horn.

ANC MP Qubudile Dyantyi said they would need to apply their mind properly on the matter.

The removal process of Hlophe will be done after the November 1 local government elections.

Share with Friends:
Continue Reading

Facebook

Africa Business Directory

Are you looking to increase your company's online presence in Africa? List your company on our No.1 business directory in South Africa & business directory in Africa as a whole on africabusinessfile.com.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending